Week 10: FIFC 6-1 S. London Sharks

FIFC comfortably beat South London Sharks to close the gap in the promotion race to four points.

After winning the toss, FIFC chose to play against the wind with The sharks opting to play long ball forcing the fish to play a very high line to keep the sharks at bay. Some good defending by Josef and Jacob saw all early shark attacks repelled.

Despite the strong wind and boggy pitch, FIFC continued to pass out from the back using Harry as the deep playmaker with Andrew seeming to win everything in the air despite them having a much taller midfield. However due to large headwind, early chances for either team were limited in the first 15. The best chance came following a sliding tackle from sonny to disposes their winger, the ball was then played to Nile who ran half of the pitch but was denied by a good save by the keeper at the near post.

However the deadlock was broken in the 20th minute when jack , following some good attacking play by David, took on their full backs, running the ball down the right and putting a high cross, which due to the wind missed all of the sharks defenders, however it fell to Craig who brought down the ball, cut inside his marker and fired into the top right corner from outside the box which gave the keeper no chance. 1-0.

Despite being dominated for some time the sharks drew level on the 25th minute when they overloaded the right, catching the Fish sleeping, drilling back to the edge of the box to their striker to rifled in a shot into the bottom corner . 1-1

This lifted the sharks who piled on the pressure aided by the wind.
Fearing a second goal, Alex made an excellent save off the line to deny them from a corner. Then a quick counter attack saw Jack come close denied by a good save and then Nile having his rebound cleared off the line by the sharks defender.

FIFC pushed men up higher to counter the sharks attacks and in the 43rd minute after a lovely solo run by Jacob down the centre of the pitch, the ball was crossed across the goal, and was met by the towering head of burnie to head into the net. However with their GK and CB down injured in the attack there was some fears that the goal would be chalked off, however the ref confirmed it would stand. 2-1. A great team goal before half time.

FIFC almost got the dream start in the second half when a calamitous pass out the back fell to Craig who blazed over. However the fish didn’t have to wait to long for another goal, as in the 50th minute ,after another run by jack, who then squared it to Andrew, who then squared it to Craig who then fired into the bottom corner. 3-1.

The sharks went down to 10 men after their goalie had to leave the pitch and with them having made all their subs , they had to put their best player in goal leaving them light in attack.

FIFC then made it 4-1 in the 72nd minute when dean, fired in a low shot into the bottom corner after good work by Jack down the right.

At this stage the fish were queuing up to score, Barry had a good effort as did Harry but both were just wide.

However in the 80th minute after three consecutive corners, a Harry cross was met by Burnie who fired into the net whilst he was on the floor, a classic Sunday league goal mouth scramble 5-1.

The home team almost made it 6-1 when after a lovely run down the right by Sonny, played an excellent ball to Pepo who hit a bullet header into the top corner, only to see the keeper tip it over the bar. However from the resulting corner Harry whipped a cross into the back post, which was met by a lovely volley from jozef, the ball was saved by their keeper but fell kindly to dean to tap in for his second. 6-1. FT.

An excellent performance, especially when defending into a strong wind. The fish passed beautifully in the second half and didn’t descend into a long ball team even when it was easy to.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *